There is a website that I go to where Moms can create profiles, write journals and join groups. One of the groups I have joined is a religious debate group. Why I do this to myself is beyond me. But I chose it. Anyway, there are a lot of moms in this group who are a part of the "hard core" Christian crowd. They're the type of people I avoid in real life because I want to punch (pray for me) but online I can tolerate them since I can walk away from the laptop and drink it off.... totally kidding... kinda
The debate recently has been about homosexuality. I have to say that I don't know my scripture all that well. I have read the bible cover to cover many times and have been to my share of conferences, camps, retreats, etc. I was a Christian Education major in college, but my school concentrated a little more on the education part of that than the religion part. Point is, I'm not an idiot when it comes to Christianity but I am not as well-read as some of the religious wrong think they are.
All I have seen in this debate thread is quote after quote about homosexuality being wrong. Why is it wrong? "Because God said so." "God did not create Adam and Steve." And scripture scripture scripture quotes. Total circular reasoning. The only ones who have shown to me that they are able to think for themselves are the pagans and atheists who come to the debates to learn about others and to get the chance to defend their beliefs.
So I write about the Adam and Steve comment that maybe God created Adam and Eve a certain skin color. Does that mean that this particular skin color is better or "of God" moreso than those whose skin has been pigmented differently the sun (or the lack of sun)? If there was scientific proof that homosexuality was genetic, would they feel differently - because then God would have created them and they would not have chosen that life? My questions are apparently "silly" as they make them think outside of the box. Do any of these people stop to think that these are the issues that are dividing us and the God I love is not divisive?!
Today I decided that I am going to start a new group called "Christians Who Other Christians Think Are Going to Hell." I think some people were not amused, but my profile on this website got a whole bunch of hits. Here is the other part I wrote....
I believe we are all human and no matter what you believe in, if you were created by a loving God and are living a good life, who cares. I have visions of us all at the end being asked by God if we would like to spend eternity with Him. And since we have free will and the capacity for faith, the loving God who created us will accept us for who we are and where we are. Why can't humans do the same?
I was a religion major in college and was in a sorority. My husband also majored in religion and then went on to receive his Master of Divinity and Master of Theology from BigSeminary (not a hokey-fly-by-night-random-seminary). We lived in married student housing there and were outcasts by some (we drank beer - *gasp* - and I don't sew my own clothing). I believe that abortion and gay marriage should be legal... I've always been on the outskirts of the Christian realm. And quite honestly, I prefer it that way.
I love my non-Christian friends. I adore my openly gay friends and family. I truly believe that my God would rather we be true to ourselves and be happy than live in misery being who we think others want us to be. I would much rather spend a weekend with an atheist than an hour with a conservative Christian. I have read the Bible cover to cover many times and have been to my share of conferences, camps, retreats and Bible studies. I know what I believe and am willing to adapt those beliefs and grow. But I am not willing to be converted by someone who only is able to spit out what they have been told by others.
The cool thing is that a few people have written to me to thank me for voicing what they were not able to say. One atheist even asked me if I was her long lost sister. I have always been a little self-conscious about expressing my beliefs because I have always been surrounded by people with more education (and, in my opinion, more intelligence) than myself. But for the first time, I said it and others agreed. Feels refreshing.
10 comments:
You go!!!! nicely done.
Tell it, sistah!
As someone from the glbt community, I've come to the understanding that most people who are anti-gay for whatever reason, are coming from a place of fear. Fear of change, fear of having their structured beliefs rocked, fear of facing their own orientation, you name it. Some people need that checklist that is given to them in their conservative churches. It makes them feel better about themselves if they can follow and obey a strict set of rules. Unfortunately, these same people often point out when others aren't following the rules. Again, this comes from a deep insecurity and fear.
Realizing this makes it much easier to handle closeminded folks. I actually feel sorry for them.
It also helps to have people like you who support us.
So, THANKS!
Well I am proud to tell you then that my hubby and I went to Toronto to be witnesses for his sister and her partner (now wife!) when they got married. She is now in seminary and I was so so proud of her when she decided that was what she wanted to do with her life. She has more love in her heart than so many of these "Christians" I see online.
I had a high school friend who was raised a strict Catholic. She hated all the rules and when she married traded it all in for a different strict denomination with different strict rules. Weird to me.
I think that this proves that you are more well read than those who have memorized the bible. Memorizing a passage just proves that one can recite things, but says nothing about how well that person has actually read. There are six passages in the Bible that have to do with homosexuality in a very indirect way.
It is sad when those statements supercede the radical nature of God's love for all of humanity and therefore support hatred in the name of this love. That is to me the core of evil.
As for the genetic issue, I posted something on this a while back - now new and improved!
http://www.tatuskofam.com/off-center/?p=3
Then I probed the issue a little deeper later on...
http://www.tatuskofam.com/off-center/?p=12
Our Presbyterian church had a booth for the second year in a row at Pridefest this summer. My partner and I staffed the booth for some time and heard many sad stories from people who, prior to coming out, had been very active in their churches, but were asked to leave the church once they came out. One tough-looking guy who was wearing a collar with spikes (!) gave me a bear hug and thanked us for being there. I think it helped that I look like a middle-aged soccer mom. It made them feel like some nice, straight church lady loved them.
I'm not sure "Christians" realize the pain they inflict on the glbt community. At least I hope not. That would be downright cruel.
See comment in above post.
I love your "Christians who are going to hell" forum...count me in! :)
We had a youth pastor in high school who was gay. He was in the closet but a few of us figured it out - we never told him we'd figured it out but soon after we'd gotten close to him he announced his rather sudden departure from the church. I remember the day he asked the youth group: "If your church had a pastor who announced that he was gay what would you do?" The rest of the youth group was ready to throw the hypothetical pastor out and beat him silly....me I didn't get it...if he was gay then he'd been gay when you thought he was great - he's just decided he trusts you enough to tell you - I couldn't believe that people would react that way...I mean you know someone and love and care about that person - they choose to tell you something personal and you turn on them b/c you don't like "who they are"??? Baffling to me.
You're not the only Christian who feels exactly this way. I found your blog via MoreCows' latest post (you mentioned something about infertility, which is a struggle for me too, so I initially came looking for that).
It baffles me how many religious people cannot admit that they could be wrong. About anything. The more I read the bible, the less I feel I know. :)
now this just makes me wonder how/why we aren't better friends.
very, very well said.
Thank you
:)
We (gays) are in good company; historically, the Bible has been used to justify discrimination against Jews, Blacks, and women. Some Protestants even used it to discriminate against Catholics.
Regardless of their motivation, I think anyone who uses the Bible to discriminate misinterprets it.
Anyway, thank you for your efforts!
Post a Comment