Monday, October 29, 2007

In Full Disclosure...

I grew up at Summit Presbyterian Church in Butler, PA. This is where the "Confessing Movement" began. I began attending that church when I was about 4 and stopped going midway through college when the pastor and session began excommunicating people (my parents included). I watched it all unravel. All the people I cared about being sent away for reasons I could not understand but was completely aware were not of God. My father had been an Elder for years and had run the sound system. He was a Boy Scout leader. But one day, he was asked to hand in his key to the church and was told to never come back. Why? He was one of the dissenting voices -the one who mentioned that none of this went along with the Book of Order.

It saddens me tremendously as it was one of the first places I really felt I could be myself. So perfect that it was at a church. And then when it all came undone, I stopped attending church completely. The irony is, it was when my husband was at seminary that the shit hit the fan. I remember sitting on the ground outside of our seminary housing trying not to cry as my mother told me all the sordid details. My brother, who is 11 years younger than me, then came to live with us and finish high school. It was all too raw for everyone there in Smalltown, USA.

Now that we are back in the region, I am renewing friendships with people who are attending churches in the Pittsburgh area. And they are all so proud that their churches are a part of this movement. Apparently, they cannot see it in my eyes. I want to tell them how this man, the source of all this, destroyed my family for almost a decade - but they are so happy with the decision they made. A decision to divide and not to love. Do I dare tell them?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

To me it seems it is all about whom you are having sex with, right?
Who cares? If you want have sex with a same sex consensual adult in private, then go ahead in my book.

As far as your background story I cannot comment, I do not have enough information to do so.

Presbyfruit's History Bits said...

I've heard many ex-communication stories; they're all heartbreaking and so damn wrong.

I'm glad you're back in the fold, though.

Presbyfruit's History Bits said...

Clarification to above comment: I'm not glad you're back because I think you're going to hell if you stay away from the institutional church. It's just that we need smart, young non-Confessing types.

more cows than people said...

(o)

Karen Sapio said...

I think you can tell old friends your story. You can tell it respectfully but truthfully. They may respond awkwardly in the moment, but I'll bet they'll take it home and think about it.

Kari Hultman said...

Seems like every hundred years or so the Presbyterian Church splits over some controversy. The issue was slavery in the late 1800's and now it's gays. Wonder what it will be 100 years from now...

Diane M. Roth said...

wow. so sad about your experience with this church.