Have you ever really contemplated why you believe what you believe? I have been fortunate enough to have had an interesting faith journey where I was able to take complete ownership of what I believe - what I believe is MINE.
The church we attend is growing and there are a large number of young families. We are trying to find creative ways to involve more families. But our pastor is, thankfully, very aware of the need of families to find THEIR way, make their own traditions and take ownership of their own beliefs. We have at length discussed
how many of us are "good Presbyterians" where we go to church just because that's
what you do. How can we help these families?
We have a Wednesday night event where the kids all play together for half an hour (elementary and preschool age). Then we all eat dinner together. After that, the adults can leave or hang out while the kids sing some songs, have lessons, etc. It's a really great idea and it obviously has made an impact in our 2 year old's life. (He now asks to go to church and he calls Jesus his uncle - no clue where that one came from!)
Our pastor called and asked what I would think of leading a discussion on Wednesday nights with some of the "young" parents on what we believe and why. I don' think this is a group that is yet ready for an all-out Bible study. So what can we do? Does anyone have any creative thoughts?
Thursday, October 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I know of a church in Florida that has really made a positive impact in many young women's lives that has a time at which folks share their faith stories, whatever they may be. Could you just do that? Perhaps you could start it off. And then ask for others to take the lead following weeks.
Ladyburg hosts a Theology on Tap group for young adults. They aren't necessarily parents or even married, but may be at a similar junction to your young parents. Could be she'd have some ideas for you.
ladyburg.typepad.com
I'd suggest using a topical approach. Perhaps one of the topics could be terrorism which would allow you to introduce the concept of free will. If you're adventurous you could do hot topics like gay marriage.
For the class format, use as many graphics as you can and encourage discussion; graphics appeal to a different learning style than verbal or written language. Discussion involves the audience, making the class more interesting and people learn better than in a lecture format.
Don't forget to encourage questions; people sometimes hesitate to ask for fear they will appear stupid. I'd also set a couple ground roles: respect for each other's opinions, and being honest (don't agree or disagree with something just because it may be the consensus or what is expected).
Unless you have your audience identified, you may wish to write a press release for your local newspaper (email me if you need help) and to place an announcement on Craig's List. (Craig's list is free, and it could be a copy of your press release.)
Finally, you might want to start a blog just for the class. You could post the meeting dates, topics, and have discussion threads.
Good luck!
Post a Comment