Friday, May 30, 2008

Health Update

I drove an hour and 45 minutes on Wednesday to meet with one of the finest neurosurgeon's in the region. (And I have to say that even though I only spent about 20 minutes with him, it was completely worth it.)

I wish I could figure out how to post a picture of my MRI. When you look at your spinal cord, the discs show up a bright white. I have one that is black. The radiologists called it "degenerative disc disease" which apparently is also called arthritis. (Wouldn't that have been easier?)

Anyway, the neurosurgeon said that at this point he does not view me as a candidate for surgery. The disc that is bad is at L5/S1, which is the lowest one. The plan for now is to have shots.... (EEEEK!).... in my spine to try to help the inflammation. If we can get the inflammation down, then we're good to go. But if not, surgery might be in the works.

Fortunately, he knew of a fabulous pain management doctor in my area. So I will only have to travel about 15 minutes, if that, to see this doctor.

I will definitely let you all know when the large needle is about to find my spine!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forgot to mention the other day that Mary will be glad to talk to you about the shots since she has worked in the pain clinic as well for the last 4 years.

Unknown said...

That sounds like a good plan....
keep us posted!