Sunday, December 16, 2007

Movie Reject

I am what you would call a movie reject. I have not seen many movies. Going to the theater is a waste of my time. Plus, I have the hour bladder. So it is just a major pain in the ass if you get my drift.

So... during this writer's strike, what movies should I put on my list to rent and see at home? If this list get long, a NetFlix account might just be necessary.

The last movie I saw in the theater was The DaVinci Code which I loved. Before that was Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which I also enjoyed. I like off beat humor and movies that make me think. I do not want to see something where the world ends. I do not enjoy seeing a lot of death.

So hit me!

12 comments:

more cows than people said...

wow. you give tough criteria.

home for the holidays- if you haven't seen it, please do.

i like mostly edgy films that show real people- i could recommend a few others but they have a sadness to them... are you open to that?

have you seen "when harry met sally"? if not- do.

netflix is also great for t.v. series...

more cows than people said...

my husband suggests "a beautiful mind".

Identity Mixed said...

I have seen "When Harry Met Sally." And I really do need to see "A Beautiful Mind" since we lived in Princeton.

I am open to sadness, emotion, deep thought... just not gore and death!

more cows than people said...

o.k. check out "pieces of april" and "in america".

"kolya" if you can find it.

hmm... what else...

as you have a three year old maybe you've seen these but "the incredibles" and "cars" are both fun.

"shawshank redemption"- old, but great.

so many good films...

it might be too violent towards the end (i can't remember), but i loved "slingblade" also old- not really old, but far from a new release.

michael moore films (documentaries) are also very thought provoking... worth seeing in my opinion. esp his most recent film "sicko".

as for much older films- citizen kane, on the waterfront, nostalgia... think there may be death in all of them- but not gore.

hope this helps.

Unknown said...

Have seen "Waiting For Guffman"? Kinda offbeat....or The Producers (The Orginal with the guy from the original Willy Wonka)

Since you are just getting into the Harry Potter Books try the Harry Potter Movies - although I wouldn't watch them till after I'd read the books.

I'm kind of a movie reject myself - the last movie I saw in the theater though was "I now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry" which was ok. I watch movies then forget about them!

I love getting TV series from Blockbuster - I'm currently making my way through Northern Exposure - a show that I never watched when it was on but have now gotten hooked on after visiting Alaska! There are a number of hunky guys on that show!!!!

Drew Tatusko said...

There are three sitting on the old shelf that we have not seen that I want to watch...

Crash
Being John Malkovich
Rent

I used to be such a film buff but not in the past 18 mos or so... Wait... actually the past 2 1/2 years.

But I have heard good things about In America and Pieces of April. I like indie films.

Kari Hultman said...

I'll send Presby over here; she's a movie maniac...

Shazza said...

If you like British films - Waking Ned Divine is hilarious, and so is Saving Grace. I just watched My House in Umbria because I'm a big Maggie Smith fan, nice story, beautiful scenery. The Queen is very good, but slow. Chocolat is fun. There is the who Jason Bourne series - Bourne Idendity, Bourne Supremacy and Bourne Ultimatum if you want a little testosterone - they are very good.

I'm into the avante garde flicks, some of them are kind of weird, so I won't mention them here!

Unknown said...

My suggestion is Godford's Park. It is a mystery movie with off the wall humor.

I haven't seen many either.

Kari Hultman said...

Donnie Darko.

Unknown said...

Waking Ned Devine is a great one!

And - I think it's called Calendar Girls - about these older women who make a "risque" calendar to raise funds for something...I know I'm being very vauge, but it was a great movie!

Presbyfruit's History Bits said...

Definitely Donnie Darko.

This isn't a movie, but the newest Dr. Who's are very good.