Friday, August 3, 2007

The Quest of Friend Finding

When we were moving to this area, I found a statistic that only 30% of the region has a bachelors degree or higher. While I was startled, I was not majorly concerned. Surely I will be able to find enough like-minded friends, right?

Well...I must admit a year later that I am having some struggles. Everyone who lives here is from here and I'm having a rough time breaking through. When people first meet you, they want to know where you went to high school. That was 15 years and 2 degrees ago! I really don't care where people went to high school.

I met a group of women online and we all decided to meet. I told them that I worked part-time at a huge social service agency in the area. They all, practically at the same time, said, "Oh I go there for WIC." Ugh. Nothing against WIC - it is there for a reason, but perhaps you should not have had your children when you were 20. Then you wouldn't need it.

I started to really reflect on the bachelors degree thing. Maybe I need to meet people who are "educated." I met a girl at the office who has an MSW. It took me all of 2 minutes to decide she was annoying and now I hide every time I see her. Ok.... so it's not a degree that I need in my friends.

Anyone see the episode of Desperate Housewives where Gabrielle meets the politician (forget his name)? He runs into her car so he can meet her. Maybe I should just rear-end everyone who has a bumper sticker that says, "Bush is not MY president."

6 comments:

The Vicar of Hogsmeade said...

uh, I don't know exactly how to say this, I had a M.Div. and full time job and was over 30 when I needed WIC. My pastor's salary was low enough that we qualified and my D.S. signed the employer part of the paperwork for me. Not everyone who uses WIC is uneducated or a child mother.

Identity Mixed said...

Oh, I completely agree! It is absolutely there for a reason. We have friends who are on it because she quit her job to stay home with her son who has cancer. There are times that it makes sense. But the mentality of "I'll have more kids because the government can provide" makes me ill.

When my hubby was working on his M.Div, we always used to joke that they should just hand us food stamps when they hand out your apartment keys.

The Vicar of Hogsmeade said...

ok, I'm absolutely with you. I'm all too aware of those who take advantage.

will smama said...

Maybe you could make friends with the Dish Network bill collections department. They certainly do call enough to check up on you.

Identity Mixed said...

I finally talked to that nice woman at church who has a son the same age as mine. She's from the Windy City! I've never been there.... but the point is, SHE DIDN'T GROW UP HERE! I think I have a friend!

And WS, thanks. I'll consider it. The next time one calls and speaks English as a first language.

Anna Sorenson said...

Re WIC--three master's degrees between me and my spouse. we qualified, we needed it.