Wednesday, August 29, 2007

My Vision

No, I'm not actually talking about my long term goals, but about my actual eye sight! :)

Hubby and I went to the eye doctor over the weekend because we realized it had easily been two years since we had done that. And I have had two babies since - and your eyesight supposedly changes with pregnancy and childbirth. Since there was a snake show at the mall as well as the indoor playground, we figured one could get an exam while the other wandered and then switch off with the kids. I went first.

My eyes are horrible. As in - I cannot see a darn thing without my glasses or contacts in. I have worn glasses since I was in about third grade and I am totally annoyed with my vision. Someday I would love to have LASIK, but I'm not sure I'll be a candidate - they are THAT BAD!

As I got my eyes examined, the doctor was doing a lot of "hmmmm." Kind of concerning, huh? Well, she finally said that my eyesight has gotten better .... extremely better. Wow. So I ask her how that is possible. She answers that there is something called "Second Sight" that occurs in your forties where your vision does improve. I'm 7 years off of that. She then asks, "Does diabetes run in your family?" Um...yea. My mom is diabetic. My dad's father was. It's on both sides. Commence Freak-Out.

She fits me for my contacts and we ponder when I should get to the doctor, how this will change my life, etc. We discuss that since my eyes have gotten progressively better, I have essentially had "hyper-vision" for a while - seeing things clearly that I shouldn't be seeing. Hubby and I take the kids to the mall food court for lunch and have McDonald's - which is EXACTLY what you do when you are hit with the news that you might be diabetic.

As the day went on though, it became clear that my lenses were not right. Things were indeed fuzzier than they had been, but when I questioned my hubby about what I should be able to see and what I shouldn't, I realized the contacts were not right. So I went back and got a new right one the next day. Today, I began to believe that my left lense was also not correct.

So my eyes have gotten better, but not nearly as better as we had originally thought. Should I take this as a wake up call anyway and start eating better? Perhaps. Ok.... yes.

No comments: