I have blogged before that BL likes to have his toenails painted. I resisted for a while since it's summer and he wears sandals a lot. But I finally caved to his toddler demands a few weeks ago and painted them a bright red (same color as mine, which he picked).
Now, I have no problem with his nails being painted. It's not going to make him gay. It does not imply any femininity. It shows that he is creative. It shows that he wants to be like mommy. He has NO clue that it's something only girls are "supposed" to do.
So how do I protect him from older kids and adults who make fun (openly or otherwise). We were at a park the other day that holds a day camp. There were kids about 8 years old running around. And, Mr. Extrovert that he is, he has no problem approaching strangers to ask them to play. At one point, I caught him surrounded by a circle of kids. I knew they were talking about him in a negative manner, but he had no clue. He just thought it was neat that older kids were around him.
So what did I do? I went and snatched him out of the group and took him to get something to munch on from our bag. I wanted to give the kids dirty looks, but I didn't. They only know what they have been taught by others. It's not their fault. But I hope I remember to teach my sons that what they want to wear, how they want their hair styled, etc., does not need to be limited by their gender.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh boy, that's a toughie. I know you don't want to squash his creativity, but you also don't want other kids to tease him. Can you find another way to let him be creative with his toes? Like, put dinosaur bandaids on each or every other one. Or write a letter on each toe to spell out a word. You know, like gangsta wrappers do on their knuckles.
Or will that turn him into a gangsta wrapper?
Ha!
What was sad is that people would totally think it was cool if his toenails were black. What's wrong with red? It DOES match his Lightening McQueen shirt!
Post a Comment