Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Parents.... THINK!

I have a pet peeve. Well, I have many, but I only have time to vent about one right now.

Parents, when you are naming your children, THINK!

Your child will be an adult with that name far longer than they will be a child. So the name Sammie for a little boy is adorable, yes. But when Sammie is 45 and his name is on the law firm marquis, will he be taken seriously? Perhaps you could name him Samuel and call him Sammie while he is a child?
Along those same lines, let's talk about trendy names. I know a lot of people like the name Nevaeh (which is heaven backwards). Those of you who named your children this in 1987 were very clever. It is no longer clever. Get over it.
While we're at it, just because famous people name their kids names like Wolf, Apple, Zowie and Seven, does not mean you should. These children will grow up going to private schools, with nannies and hefty bank accounts. Your child will not. He or she will be teased. So just don't do it.
And take a look at your last name. If your last name is Hawke, do not name your child Skye. Seriously.


6 comments:

Drew Tatusko said...

Besides "Nevaeh" can also be read as "Nevah" as in "nevah name your kid "nevaeh"!

Anyone else see a stupid name? Might be a nice little blog meme... :-)

Annie's Mom said...

LOL! Agree, agree, AGREE!

http://www.notwithoutmyhandbag.com/babynames/index.html

This is a great website about bad baby names, if you're looking for a laugh!

Crimson Rambler said...

oh lord love a DUCK, yes. Here's my Worst Ever so far (and I actually baptized this little one, Heaven forgive me). CIDNEY, pronounced "Sidney"...a little girl. How many nano-seconds will elapse, after she gets to school, before she becomes "Kidney"?

will smama said...

Then you have the race car driver: Dick Trickle.

Not sure if he was ever sponsored by... well, you know.

Shark Butt said...

The worst I've seen and I've seen more than a few was Aquanetta.

Unknown said...

Wacky.