Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Honestly... Be Honest

For my graduate program, we had to go for counseling for at least three sessions and write a paper about our experiences. I think it was to ensure we understood life on the other side of the couch or something. But it was a valuable experience. I mean, who doesn’t need counseling?!

One of the things that came up in counseling for me was that I remember every time in my life that someone thought I was lying but I was telling the truth. Interesting. I don’t remember each time that I truly was lying – just when I wasn’t and someone thought I was. I think this says something about my personality.

I actually quit Girl Scouts in elementary school because I said something about living on a farm and one of the adults told me I did not live on a farm. Of course I did. But the beauty of the western PA countryside was that you could see our house from the road, but not the barn or any animals. My aunt and uncle actually missed our wedding because it was supposed to rain the day after and someone needed to stay behind and take in hay. Come on – that’s the epitome of the farmer’s life. But she thought I was lying and as an 8 year old, there was no way I could convince her otherwise. So I quit.

I’ve been thinking a lot about dishonesty because it’s baseball season. I need to preface this by saying that I am not a baseball fan. I cannot call something a sport if you are able to be on the playing field with a big piece of chew in your mouth. So NASCAR is out too. But I digress.

All this hype about Barry Bonds. I just don’t care. And I wish others did not too. He is clearly not telling the truth about his steroid use. The fact that he is not up in arms over it and considering quitting the Girl Scouts because no one believes him is evidence enough to me. He is a liar.

It reminds me of an episode of According to Jim. Jim reflects on how he used to be an athlete and is dared to run a marathon. It’s harder than he thought it would be, so he ducks into a salon and has a pedicure while everyone else is running. He falls asleep during the pedicure and when he wakes up, he thinks he’s been asleep much longer than he really was. So he races to the finish line thinking he’ll be last. But he’s first! He eats up the praise until he takes his shoes off at home and his wife sees his toenails painted red and calls him on the carpet.

See – it’s funny and cute on a sitcom. But in real life? When there’s no laugh track, it’s time to call it quits.

13 comments:

Drew Tatusko said...

If he is not guilty he should react like anyone with integrity would: Find evidence to absolve himself of the allegations, then sue a LOT of people for libel and slander. Instead he just whines that people won't leave him alone. Nice to see you again OJ!

will smama said...

What Drew said.

I like your blog. So glad I get to read your 'truisms' instead of just waiting for emails or when we get together.

Identity Mixed said...

Can you tell I read Sports Illustrated before I posted that? Agree wholeheartedly with Reilly, especially the part where he says cheering for Bonds is like helping a bank robber count the money.

Unknown said...

Hi! I'm a friend of a friend. Welcome to the blogosphere!

Girl said...

Ooooo...woot woot. So glad you have joined the community :)

Welcome :)

Michelle said...

Welcome...may you enjoy hanging whichever hat you are wearing today in this virtual space!

Jan said...

We share a friend! I'm glad she sent me your way. I'll be back!

Rev Kim said...

Welcome to the blogosphere from another newbie!

Even those of us who are baseball fans couldn't care less about Barry Bonds. We root for someone of character and class who has respect for the game. I keep hoping that by some miracle he won't break the record. I asked my husband the other day, "what do you suppose would happen if he got intentionally walked on every at bat from now until he retired?"

Di said...

I hear ya. I hate it when people don't believe me. Even "he said, she said" sorts of situations... awful.

more cows than people said...

Wow. I'm glad a friend of yours sent me your way. And I'm going to send a friend of mine your way. I've read most of your posts so far and I appreciate the clarity and thoughtfulness of your voice. I'll be back! Welcome to the blogosphere!

steve said...

A friend sent me to your blog, for which I'm glad. I enjoyed reading your posts.

I think some of the Barry Bonds deception stems from a culture that prizes success over integrity at times.

Anyway, I'll be back. Welcome to the blogosphere.

Unknown said...

I remember when I was (ironically) in Girl Scouts and my leader refused to believe that I knew where to go. We'd been on a 4 day camping trip in the Smokies and were returning to Cincinnati and I had a Dr appointment to get some stiches out of my hand from some surgery I'd had. My mom was meeting us at the dr. I knew exactly how to get to the dr's office from where we were. My leader refused to listen to me. She assumed because I was some "dumb" teenager I had no idea. Because she didn't listen we were late for my appointment.

Ok...I'm jealous of all the people who comment on your blog and who have found your blog...I think like 3 people ever read mine!

Diane M. Roth said...

yes, welcome! I'll be back!