Sunday, July 15, 2007

"Christian" + Anything

Why is it that when you add "Christian" to the front of anything, it sounds like a person I don't want to spend time with? I just Googled "Christian Counselor" out of curiousity. I am a Christian and I am a counselor so I have at number of times explored the possibility of going into a counseling branch where I can integrate my faith. But those who are out there already doing it scare the crap out of me. They hardly sound like fun people. In fact, they sound like the people who made me step away from Christianity for a long time.

I went to a small Christian liberal arts college. It was a great school academically speaking, but it attracted a number of students who were hardcore Jesus lovers. Thankfully for me, this was long before the WWJD craze or I think I would have transferred. But I had things said to me that were less than Godly by the God Squad. When my husband and I started dating, I overheard a group of girls talking about how we would never last because he wanted to be a pastor and I was in a sorority. Yet I found God more in my sorority sisters than I ever did in that group of girls. And I think they would be surprised to know that we said the Lord's Prayer at every meeting. I learned a lot more about morality and being yourself from my sorority sisters than those who were supposed to be my "sisters in Christ."

It's that type of mentality that I don't get. You are so closed-minded that you are unable to accept others. You profess that you are out in the world sharing God's love, but you are so afraid of the mainstream culture that you isolate yourself. It's like racists who tan - a total oxymoron to me. I guess that's why I never fit in with those crowds. In college, it hurt. But now I am so secure in what I believe and who I am. Maybe being shunned by the God Squad was for the best.

So I decided, based soley on a Google search that I do not want to be a Christian counselor. Am I a portrait of a new generation or what?

Moral of the story... I doubt I will be adding "Christian" to the front of my job title and I am very glad I didn't name either of my children that.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh I totally agree! If it has the label "Christian" I tend to run the other way. Sad huh?
Don't get me started on my neighbor...once she asked me at 1:00 on a Sunday afternoon: "No church for you today?" Ummm no and it's none of you darn business.

Diane M. Roth said...

yes, I agree too. Someone once said, "Christian" is a noun, not an adjective. He was referring to the "Christian music," "christian novel," etc. phenomenon, but it fits this too.