Why are families so complicated? My Mom doesn't speak to her parents and they live next door. And on the other side of my Mom and Dad's house is her younger brother who she also doesn't speak to. So they are a sandwich of fighting family. I was visiting my Grandparents with my boys when my parents came home. Awkward. I think I'm not "supposed" to talk to them. It's not my fight so this gets really really old.
Hubby's parents are divorced so there are two sets of parents involved. Ironically, it is the parent that was bad-mouthed the most throughout his childhood who we have the most fun with. Very interesting dynamic there.
I've been thinking about this a lot since our whole family is now here. We have two boys and we are done. I know my whole immediate family now, which is strangely refreshing. And I have begun to really reflect on how I want to raise my children and the values I want to instill in them. It's tough with families divided. Why can't everyone just get along?! :)
I hope that there is nothing so trivial in my life that I decided to not speak to blood relatives. And I mean that - it's trivial. If it is something you are not willing to hash out just because you are related, then it is a small matter. We'd work through all the biggies because that's what families do.
Ugh. Family reunion next week. More reflection to come - I am sure!
Saturday, July 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment