I substitute taught Sunday School this past week, which in and of itself is quite bloggable.
The week before, they talked about blessings and wrote out all the things they were thankful for. One of the first exercises this week was to review all the positive things that happened to them over the course of the previous week. One of the little girls was thankful for her special time spent with her father - at a Sarah Palin rally.
Ugh.
So we talked about how special that time was with her dad and moved on. But later, I really started to ponder this whole situation.
There are so many times when I am thankful I am the mom to boys. I get to have nonchalant conversations - "Look! A girl truck driver! Girls can do anything!" and move on. But if I had a daughter, would I feel compelled to take her to a Palin rally? Would I feel the need to really teach a lesson?
It's a tough one for me. I'm not a Palin fan. And my inner feminist wishes I could support a woman VP. I could... just not her.
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I hear ya... If I had a daughter, this would be time for a conversation something like this:
"Women can do anything they want to do, and be anything they want to be. But it's important to understand that a person being a man or a woman or tall or short or black or white doesn't make them good at what they do. People are good at what they do because they are intelligent, hard-working people."
That would open the door to explain a little bit more about the trouble with Sarah Palin...
Post a Comment