Tuesday, September 18, 2007

TAG!

I was tagged for the first time in my Blog life!! Here are the rules for this Meme:

The Rules:
1) You have to post the rules before you give the facts.
2) Players must list one fact that is relevant to your life for each letter in your middle name. If you don’t have a middle name then use a name that you like.
3) When you are tagged, you must write a post containing your own middle name game facts.
4) At the end of your post, you must tag one person for each letter in your middle name. Don’t forget to comment them telling that they are tagged and to read your post to get the rules.

My middle name is Sue. Fairly boring and Midwestern. My name was supposed to be Amber Diane, but my grandmothers all thought people would call me Amy. Amy? 33 years later and I still don't understand it.

Anyway my parents were both unconscious when I was born. My dad had returned home from Viet Nam 9 months earlier (hence ME). He had seen his share of blood and when my mom was in labor with me, passed out and hit his head on a medicine tray. 26 stitches later, he decided to not return to the Labor and Delivery Room. They decided to knock my mom out for my birth as well since she had been in labor with me for 36 hours. Poor girl.

My dad's mom, my mom's mom and my mom's grandmother all assembled and decided to name me. I was this close (hold fingers one centimeter from each other) to being Ethel. They went from Amy being a horrible name to Ethel being the choice. Only in my family.

They thought about it and realized that they had to name me something that could be easily pronounced. My mom's name is Carol. But some of her fresh-off-the-boat relatives couldn't say Carol and instead called her "Carl." So I needed a middle name that the immigrant distant relatives would not confuse for a boy's name. Sue won out.

Ok on with the Meme:

S - Is for Sunshine. I was born on the Summer Solstice, so the sun has always been an important symbol to me. I grew up on a farm and the weather truly dictated our lives. (See the post where I mention my aunt and uncle missing my wedding because someone had to stay behind and take in hay.) When hubby and I were thinking about tattoos, I kept leaning toward the sun as my symbol of choice. And so, on the small of my back is a tribal sun.

U - U? Umbrella, Ukulele? Suddenly this is an unfair game. I asked hubby to name something that started with the letter U and he said "uncle." So... Uncle. I have an uncle who is quadriplegic. He owned his own construction company and fell off the roof, landing on his head in a pile of broken-up cement blocks. He fell 2 1/2 stories. This happened when I was 10 and it was a major influence in my life. I spent a lot more time with him post-accident than before. In high school and college, I went to his physical therapy and was his assistant in swimming therapy. (Yes, quads can "swim"). For a while I considered physical therapy as a career choice because of all the positive times we had together.

E - Everything. I know it sounds totally cheesy, but I try to find joy in everything.

Ok... Supposed to tag three people? How about Will Smama? And.... no clue who else!

3 comments:

Drew Tatusko said...

What's a meme and how do you tag people or get tagged? Guess I have low blog intelligence.

will smama said...

Ugh.. now I have to reveal my dreaded middle name.

Unknown said...

So there's this IA at school who is from another country - not sure where, but she is convinced my name is Amy. Not "Amory" - Amy. I have been called lots of stuff, but never Amy.