Sunday, May 31, 2009

Is the Blood Enough?

I faced my first real challenge today since going gluten free (and truly deciding I mustn't cheat). Communion!

It was half-way through the sermon when I looked at the bulletin to see what was next. And that's when it struck me. Crap! Body! Bread! What do I do?

I pondered it for the next few minutes. The whole process was interesting. Since I'm Presbyterian, communion isn't something that happens every week. So this was my first true test. Do I take it because of the symbolism and worry then about how will it impact my body? How will I just take the cup and not the bread? Hmmm.....

What would you have done?

2 comments:

Anna Sorenson said...

Being a Lutheran and believing Christ is truly present, I'd have taken just the wine. We teach that the fullness of Christ is present in either element. (maybe your church would consider getting some gluten free wafers?)

Sarah S-D said...

hmm... i'm inching towards gluten free, avoiding wheat and oats at the moment, but i've taken communion, bread and juice. i'm presby. i think, if there's a way in your communion set up, to just take the juice/wine, that would be fine, christ's is spiritually present not just in the elements by in the gathered people. but if your church does intinction, and if you need to be totally gluten free for health reasons, then I'd say you'll need to bring some gluten free bread for yourself or ask for a gluten free option to be provided.

That's my thought, anyhow.